Wednesday 11 April 2018

MY SMALL START ON FOOD WASTE



Source: Free Images

Food waste can not be eradicated overnight.  I don't think food waste could be eradicated in 5 years.  If food waste had the ability to end, how long would it take?  We ALL must learn to end food waste in some way, no matter how small.  We can ALL learn to change our mindset.

There are many people in this world who are doing something, no matter how small.  I admire what they do, no matter how little their efforts, because they are probably doing more than I am.  It's easy to make excuses on why you can't do anything to help and you think your excuses are valid, but in some cases, they ARE only excuses.

At the moment, I am trying really hard not to waste food and it hasn't been easy.  It physically hurts me when I do throw food away for whatever reason.  I am happy to say that my food waste is a lot less than it use to be.  I am more aware of what to do around food.  I am more aware of how to behave with my leftovers.  I see the money I have saved because of my awareness.


I don't do a BIG monthly shop any more, but I do a monthly shop.  I have cut my monthly shop down by half.  I buy what I need and not necessarily what I want.  I try to only buy essentials and do a top-up shop when I've run out of food.  My fridge and cupboards have to be almost bare before I go shopping again.  I find that doing a shopping list can really help, but you need to be really strict with yourself and just buy what is on your list.  Deviating from the shopping list can be dangerous.....I know.



Source: Free Images


Doing a menu plan for the week can also help.  It can help you to cut out too many snacks and nibbles which could then help you to lose weight.  Win, win, if you ask me.  "That's easier said the done,"  I hear you cry.  "You don't have a family to cater for."  That's very true, but people can always start slowly.  How about doing a shop every 2 weeks instead of every  month to begin with and only get what you need?  You'll only have 2 weeks to wait before you go again.  Once you get use to that, go once a week and only buy what you really need.  Trying it this way may reduce your food waste.  Give it a go, you never know.  Not only could you save on food waste, you may even save money, money that you can put to other things like a holiday or a new pair of shoes.  I've actually managed to put towards savings by shopping this way.

I don't  buy chicken legs, drumsticks or thighs, unless it's for a specific recipe.  Instead I buy whole chickens.  I can cook them the way I like, seasoned the way I like and a whole chicken can last me a good 3 or 4 days.  Chicken is one of my favourite meats and I can eat it all day, every day!!

I also buy frozen vegetables because, for me, they last longer.  I've tried freezing fresh vegetables, but it doesn't quite work.  I suppose you may have to part boil them first, but I'm too lazy for that!!  With frozen vegetables, I've managed not to waste any of it and I do  pat myself on the back for that.  It may be a small triumph for some people, but I am happy with my progress.


I also cook in bulk and put what I don't use in the freezer for another day.  Not only does it save you cooking a new meal from scratch every day, but you reduce your food waste.  Your leftovers could also be used for lunch the next day at work, again saving you money.



Source:  Pixabay

Even though I have downloaded the OLIO_ex and Too Good Too Go apps, I haven't used them yet, but they are on my radar.



Being more aware about food waste is not only good for your pocket, it's good for the environment.  Globally, we waste approximately 1.3 billion tonnes of food each year.  This food goes to landfill and after a certain amount of time, releases greenhouse and methane gasses.

Ok people, we've all seen the movies on climate change and how it affects the planet.  Let's be more aware and reduce food waste.  Let's be more aware and feed all the hungry people in this world.  Let's be more aware and save our planet.  I may only be helping a tiny little bit compared to charities and organisations, but I am happy I've managed to start.  Make a start people, no matter how small, just make a start.

No comments:

Post a Comment