Saturday 28 April 2018

FASTING IS NOT FOR EVERYONE

Disclaimer: Intermittent Fasting does not suit everyone and anybody wishing to try fasting should go and see their doctor first for their opinion on whether or not you should try fasting.



My Fasting Journey



Glass of water, shrivelled apple and dry bread
Source: Pixabay
I started fasting on 19th January, 2018.

One thing I noticed when I started fasting was that I was taking food for granted.

Fasting has really made me appreciate what I eat.  I savour the taste like it was the first time I had tasted food, ever!!

I became aware of hunger.  I could see the needless way we were wasting resources.

Fasting has helped me to be grateful for food, not to waste any of it as you may never know when or where you're next meal was coming from.

I knew I could break my fast any time I wanted, but fasting made me understand what it was like to go hungry even if it was for a few hours.

I don't eat breakfast or lunch and I break my fast at 5pm every evening.

When I first wake up, I feel fine, no hunger pains.  By 12pm, I start to feel hungry.

By 3pm, I am really hungry.  I think about food all the time.  I think about what I'm going to eat.  I count the minutes til D-Day when I can put food into my mouth again.

I tell myself that it's okay to break my fast, no-one will know, but I stop myself.  I tell myself to be strong.  I ask God to give me strength.  I tell myself I can do this and so I do.  I wait until 5pm before I eat.


5 Fruit Smoothie Bottles Surrounded By Fruit
On A Table
Source: Pixabay
To help me stay strong with fasting, I drink squash which I mix with sparkling water.  That way, I can have a fizzy drink without the calories.  I also drink plenty of still water and in the summer months, I like to drink blended fruit mixed with mango juice.

I break my fast with something light like a sandwich and if I am hungry after that, I begin preparing my evening meal around 6pm.  I make sure I am full, but not stuffed, by the time I go to bed.  Waking up hungry is torture and I need to get through the day and not cheat.

Fasting has been good for me.  I am healing.  My insides are healing.  My eyesight has improved a lot and the fat around my stomach has decreased.


 "If people are better able to deal with hunger, then they can allow their bodies to 'eat' their own body fat" - Dr. Jason Fung - "Green Tea Helps Fasting".

I have managed to lose half a stone, (7lb), (3.17kg) and my clothes are becoming baggy.

I've saved money because I'm not buying as much food as I use too.

I feel healthier and I like to think that I have less chance of being diabetic.  I am not borderline obese and my sister and I have taken up jogging.  Don't know how long that will last!!

For a person who loves her food, fasting is hard at times.  There are people who can fast for days at a time and there are people who can only fast for a few hours.
  • Fasting is not for everyone.
  • Going without food for hours can be quite extreme.
  • The constant hunger pains.
  • Always looking at the clock to see how much longer before you can eat.
  • Continuously thinking about food
It is enough to drive a sane person mad.

Finding activities to do while on a fast is strongly recommended.  Occupying your mind to help you to not think about food every second can be a godsend.

Why Do I Fast?

I don't know.  I like the weight I've lost and the way my clothes look baggy on me.  I am happy with my improved health.  I am happy with my results.

No comments:

Post a Comment